For each item, a seller must input two shipping prices: domestic ground and domestic express. If a seller is willing to ship internationally, they must provide one international shipping price that covers all foreign countries where they offer their item for sale.
Each shipping price is determined using the seller's home country as a reference point. For example, a seller in Japan will enter a domestic ground rate and a domestic express rate for shipping to Japan. If they wish to offer their item for sale in other countries, they will also provide one set rate for shipping from Japan to all other countries. It is up to the seller to determine this set international shipping charge, but as example, they may wish to take an average of shipping costs to all countries they ship to.
If a seller would like to provide “free” shipping, they may enter “0” for each of the three prices. In this case, sellers should remember to include any shipping costs in their calculations of the product price.
Many items sold on Kuttlefish are delicate and risk breakage during shipping. It is the seller's responsibility to pack the sold items in an appropriate manner. For breakable items, Kuttlefish recommends that the seller pay for insurance and wrap the cost into the shipping charges.
Once an order is placed, sellers are responsible to ship their item within 4 calendar days. Kuttlefish recommends shipping via a traceable manner and inputting the tracking information into Kuttlefish's tracking system: Account > Your Shop > Sales/Fees > click on the transaction number. If the seller is unable to provide a tracking number, payment may be delayed up to 30 days, as per our billing and payment policy.
If for any reason the seller cannot ship within 4 calendar days (e.g. the item can only be made once the order is placed), it is their responsibility to use Kuttlefish's messaging system to inform the buyer of the actual ship date within that 4 day window.
Sellers on Kuttlefish want to ensure the complete satisfaction of their buyers. To this end, all Kuttlefish sellers must uphold the following returns policy, though sellers may outline more liberal returns conditions on their shop page under "Returns Policy":
1. Who pays for return shipping? The answer depends on the reason for the return:
Sellers are responsible when the reason for the return is:
● product ordered was not product shipped
● product shipped does not meet Kuttlefish's Material Origin Promise (MOP)
● product shipped was damaged (the seller is responsible to pack items appropriately for safe delivery)
Buyers are responsible for all other returns reasons, unless otherwise agreed upon between the buyer and seller. For example, if a size is not as advertised, a seller and buyer might agree to split the additional shipping costs; in this case, the buyer could pay for the cost to ship the return item and the seller could pay for the cost to ship the different sized item.
In cases where a buyer and seller disagree on the reason for the return, the buyer will incur the return shipping cost but must report the disagreement to Kuttlefish at firstname.lastname@example.org. Kuttlefish will handle and keep track of each report separately. Sellers with multiple reports will be investigated and shut down if they are found to violate Kuttlefish policies.
2. Any return must be initiated by email (using Kuttlefish’s mail system) from the buyer to the seller within 3 calendar days of receiving the item. The reason for the return must be included in the email.
3. Sellers must respond to a buyer's initial return email within 3 calendar days of receiving buyer's email. This email should confirm acceptance of and instructions for the return or reason for refusal.
4. Buyers must ship a return item to the seller within 2 calendar days of receiving the email acceptance from the seller.
5. Buyers must ship a return item to the seller via a traceable manner where the mailing date is recorded and receipt can be confirmed. The tracking number for the return shipment must sent to the seller via Kuttlefish's mail system. The item must be received by the seller in the same condition it was received by the buyer.
6. Kuttlefish issues an email receipt with each purchase to the buyer and to the seller. Every returned item must include a copy of this receipt. The seller may print off a copy of this receipt and include it in the box as a shipping slip. If there is no receipt in the shipment, the buyer must print off their version of the receipt and include it in the return. At the bottom of the receipt, the buyer must write an explanation of what they are returning and why.
7. After the seller receives a returned item, the seller has 3 calendar days to send a replacement item or cancel the order. In the event of a cancelled order, the seller must inform both the buyer and Kuttlefish (email@example.com).
Cancellations and Refunds
In the case where the seller cancels an order (e.g. an item was listed as available but is out of stock and/or unavailable for timely delivery), the seller is responsible to communicate the cancellation to both the buyer and Kuttlefish (firstname.lastname@example.org). Kuttlefish will refund the amount to the buyer. If money transfer fees (e.g. PayPal) have been incurred, these fees will be reflected in the seller's account.
In the case where the buyer cancels an order, the buyer is responsible to communicate the cancellation to both the seller and Kuttlefish (email@example.com) within 24 hours of the order. Providing the order has not yet been shipped, Kuttlefish will refund the amount to the buyer, minus any money transfer fees (e.g. Paypal) incurred.
If a buyer does not receive a shipment within 14 calendar days of the purchase date, the buyer is responsible to notify Kuttlefish via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Should resolution of this notification require a refund, Kuttlefish will issue the refund via the same payment method used for the purchase. Any sales refund initiated after the 14 day notification period will be refunded via gift card.
Updated: January 1, 2017